Monday, May 11, 2009

the autumn leaves...



Now for those of you reading this on the other side of the world, you may not realise, but for us here in Australia and the southern hemisphere, we have found ourselves firmly slap bang in the middle of autumn. How do I know? The beautiful flaming trees, that's how!

I spent the morning sitting in cafes writing today and as I walked to the train station I was swept away by the beautiful falling gold and orange and flaming red leaves that were dancing in the street around me. The leaves were being picked up and swirled by the wind - coming to rest in gutters, on the roots of the trees and even on the roofs and windscreens of the parked cars.

It was beautiful.

Here are a few pictures I took on my way home.





Autumn is a wonderful time to rug up with your favourite novel or dive into your favourite novel, as I am doing now, and get lost in a fantasy world filled with pages that unravel before you...

At the moment, Eva, my main character, is trying to play it safe, play it cool. She's hedging her bets, trying to avoid her fate - which is to fall hopelessly head over heels in love with Richard, the hot new boy in her sleepy, winter town. She's still edging around the sides, trying to duck out of cupid's grasp, terrified of being singled out, terrified of being made a fool of... but soon enough she will be swept away in her first terrifying, exhilarating experience of love... what a world to muck about in, eh? It goes perfectly with falling leaves, warm socks, woolly jackets and hot chocolate that goes so well with this time of year... autumn.

I only wish I could look forward to snow and ice skating during the winter. But I guess I have Eva for that.

(Being the author I also get to have her have whatever I want her to have and live vicariously through her. He he. Author's privileges sure are sweet!)

Take care,
MS

No comments:

Post a Comment